Lou Conter Death Notice, Last survivor of the USS Arizona attack in Pearl Harbor Died at 102

Lou Conter Obituary, Death – A guy named Lou Conter, who was the last person left alive on board the United States Navy ship Arizona when the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor in 1941, has gone away. He was the only person who survived the attack. He had reached the age of 102. Grass Valley, California was the location where Conter passed away on Monday morning, as stated by his daughter, who confirmed the news to KCRA 3. Conter was surrounded by his family at the time of his passing. Four weeks had passed since he had been admitted to the hospice where he was receiving care.

According to his family, the arrangements for his funeral have already been finalized, and there will be a ceremony to commemorate his passing that will be attended by veterans with full military honors. Conter had just turned 18 years old when he joined the United States Navy with the intention of serving his country. It had just been announced that the Germans had invaded Poland, and the possibility of war was starting to form in the distance.

Conter issued the statement from his home in Grass Valley, where he was residing at the time. “I said, ‘OK, I’ll sign up,’ so I signed up for four years, and I was going to leave at 5:45 that night,” according to the testimony of Conter. Following his graduation from basic training, the individual who was born and raised in Denver was assigned to the United States Ship Arizona.

“During the month of March in the year 1940, an exercise was conducted by the fleet to the north of Hawaii,” the commander stated. It was eventually determined that the armada would arrive at Pearl Harbor and dock there. The Arizona was one of the hundred ships that were anchored to the piers, and it was one of the ships. For a time, Conter served in the capacity of quartermaster. It was a warm morning in December of 1941 when he was there at his station. He was there all that time.

Conter provided the reporters with an explanation, saying, “It was five minutes to eight, and the first plane came across.” More than eighty years later, he and the United States of America have a clear and vivid recollection of the events that transpired after that. In accordance with what Conter has indicated, we were aware of what was going on as soon as they entered the room. While we were preparing ourselves to fight the Japanese throughout the war, we were conscious of the fact that we were exerting a great deal of effort. They were carrying out dive bombing, and they got extremely close to the side of the cargo ship which they were attacking.

We were unable to look up and take a peek at what was coming up with our eyes because there was no time for that. It was already pretty close to the water’s edge where they were standing when they discovered it. There was a duration of approximately forty minutes for it. Additionally, we took a bomb that weighed between fifty and one hundred pounds and placed it next to the number two turret. “It went through five decks in the forward lower handling room and blew the power up there for the number one and number two turrets, and the entire bow came up out of the water,” the captain explained to reporters.

Shortly after that, the sky above Oahu was filled with heavy smoke that was dark in color. That is to say, the bombs continued to fall from the sky. “Guys were coming out of the fire, and we were just grabbing them and laying them down,” Conter said in response to the incident. “We were just laying them down.” They were really pretty dangerous. During the process of picking them up by the bodies, the skin would slip off of your hands as you did so.

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *